Sunday, April 20, 2008

Opening Day at the Races

By Kathi Wallis

Living in Pierce County since I was a child, amazingly, April 18th was the very first time I had been to Emerald Downs. I love horses and people, but not gambling, so going was never on my radar of “things to do."
Opening day will go in the record books as a crazy roller coaster ride of weather, with sunshine, hail and snow, so the things I witnessed and the people I met took my own judgments and perceptions on a whiplash of change.
Waiting for the first bell of the night to ring, as the anticipation in the huge crowd was growing, I asked an older well-dressed man, sitting with his adult son,to share his perception. His answer was revealing.
“This is the only sport that just by buying a ticket, you have a vested interest in the entire sport," he said. "Some study the horses, or the trainers or the jockey -- each person has their own system and area of interest.”
Each person I met was very kind and instructive, though incredulous that I had managed to avoid something they had very happily devoted much of their lives to. I met Lindy Aliment, a handsome, elegantly dressed, mature man who had been “Master
of the Scales” for over 40 years. {He was in charge of weighing the Jockey’s to make
sure all was legal and fair). He and his beautiful, bright blue-eyed wife Marilyn shared their love of the sport and how their three grown children had learned hard work habits working in different parts of the track. Marilyn proudly whispered to me that in 40 years, Lindy was never once involved in one incident of impropriety. Very impressive.
They introduced me to their friend, Richard Wright, who had been a jockey and a trainer for 40 years as well. Richard looked just like a classic movie picture of a jockey. As they shared stories of the past and experiences they had shared, I almost felt as if I had made up for all the years of missing the races. All three took the time and care to help me see the sport as much as possible from their eyes and their absolute love and dedication.
I also met Ron Hagen, owner of El Dorado Farms( a large horse breeding farm) who took the time to write down all of his contact information so I could bring my grandchildren to visit the horses. Meeting these people, and learning from them was delightful! I learned of the extreme care that the horses are given, the veterinary oversight and the detailed system of checks and balances. The evening ended for me at the Winner’s Circle, sharing in the excitement of the win and thoroughly having enjoyed being close enough to hear the horses hoofs hit the ground and to see the look on the winning jockey’s face as she hugged the neck of her horse and family members who were there to congratulate her.
OK. Now I get it. I didn’t even gamble and had a most memorable evening. One that stimulated so many areas of intellect, interest and fun. Fascinating people, majestic animals, stimulating crowds. April 18th, 2008 - Opening day at Emerald Downs. A day of extreme changes and out-of-season weather. A parallel day for me personally - of extreme changes in attitude, interests & intriguing new friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This article was amazing! I too have never been to the races, but I certainly have an interest in going every time I have a chance do to the excitement of this article. Well written!!

Sondra, Trussville, AL