Monday, March 10, 2008

Assistant Editor Ethan Chung Seeks Burritos

Last Thursday, I had the opportunity to check out a new store opening of Chipotle Mexican Grill at Seattle's Northgate Mall. Before you get pouty because you're reading a post about a restaurant in Seattle, you'll be happy to know you can find Chipotle in a couple of South Sound locations--one in Kent at 512 Ramsay Way, and one in Federal Way at 31827 Pacific Highway South.

Chipotle's thing is gourmet burritos, but they do serve tacos, salads, fajitas , and bowls as well, plus chips and guacamole on the side. Their menu is pretty simple. Just choose your menu item (burrito, tacos, bowl or salad). Then your meat -- chicken, steak, carnitas (naturally raised pork, seasoned with thyme, bay leaves, juniper berries and freshly cracked black pepper - seared, then braised for hours), barbacoa (shredded beef, braised with chipotle adobo, cumin, cloves, garlic and oregano), or vegetarian (includes beans and guacamole). Chipotle boasts naturally raised meats that are free of antibiotics and added growth hormones. Their animals are fed a vegetarian diet and humanely raised. They also add cilantro-lime rice, pinto or vegetarian black beans, your choice of salsa, lettuce, cheese, sour cream and guacamole. You can also add fajita veggies for a small charge. The great thing about Chipotle is all the menu items are customizable for your taste. A little extra of this, or less of that…whatever floats your boat (within reason, of course).

I had the carnitas burrito. Their carnitas was fantastic, and it had just the right amount of seasoning. I am usually a big steak eater, but if there's carnitas on the menu at any south-of-the-border type restaurant, I'll order it. Carnitas reminds me of kalua pork (if you've ever been to a luau, that's a shout-out to a Hawaiian dish...the pork is cooked for hours in an imu, or underground oven). I washed down my tasty burrito with a margarita. Yes, Chipotle does have some tasty beverages to choose from -- margs, domestic and specialty beers, and soft drinks.

All of Chipotle's menu items are under 6 bucks. And I was completely full, a rare feat indeed. So next time you're shopping at the Commons at Federal Way or at Kent Station, check Chipotle out. Read more about Chipotle.

Tell me about your favorite burrito. Where can we find it? Post here and send me an e-mail at ethan@southsoundmag.com. Next week I'll randomly draw a commenter's name and award him or her with a free menu item from Chipotle. Remember though, you need to e-mail me AND post to win the prize. Get to it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

burritos are tasty.

Anonymous said...

Dude.....I love Burrito's! How fun! For a National Brand Taco del Mar does a decent job! The former Planet Burrito was the best.

-JRD

Anonymous said...

Veggie burritos are delish.

Anonymous said...

Chipotle is good, but Qdoba is where it is at! The queso burrito is my personal fav.

Anonymous said...

As for chains, I agree, Chipotle is pretty fantastic for the price. Baja Fresh is pretty great too, but a little bit more $$, and I don't know if there are any in South Sound. Gorditos in Seattle certainly makes the BIGGEST burrito for your buck...$5 and change will get you a burrito almost twice the size of any chain place. They even have a monster burrito that's advertised as being the size of a baby...I know, I've seen a photo comparing the burrito to a baby.

As for South Sound, I REALLY love Tatanka Take-Out for their Flawless Burrito. Mmm, I think I'll step out and get one today. This blog makes me hungry.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog!

Anonymous said...

Chipotle is a solid joint, for sure. But for my money, Qdoba is where it is at! Their queso burrito cannot be beat.